As if we all didn’t have enough passwords to remember, websites to access, and communications to check, now we have update our ‘status.’ Who has time? The harsh reality is Social Media isn’t going away so I’m going to tell you what I tell all my clients, IT’S FREE, USE IT! I know it seems like a lot of work but what’s a few minutes of posting if it could lead to a few clients?
Facebook has dominated the Social Media scene for some time now, then of course there’s Twitter, LinkedIn, Foursquare, Digg, Stumble Upon, YouTube, the list keeps going. For time sake let’s focus on three. Facebook is a way to stay connected with friends, businesses, family members and advertisers via status updates, picture uploads, Likes, tags and advertisements. Statistics:
1. More than 500 million active users.
2. People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook.
3. Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events.
4. Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month.
5. More than 30 billion pieces of content (links, news, blog posts, photo albums, etc.) shared each month.
6. Entrepreneurs and developers from more than 190 countries build with Facebook Platform.
7. People on Facebook install 20 million applications every day.
8. Every month, more than 250 million people engage with Facebook on external websites.
9. Since social plugins launched an average of 10,000 new websites integrate with Facebook daily.
10. There’re more than 250 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their phones.
Get your business on Facebook!
LinkedIn allows you to manage your professional identity, access knowledge, insights and opportunities. LinkedIn can strengthen and extend your existing network of trusted contacts through reviews, affiliations and discussions. Of all the Social Networking mediums it is more professional then social. Many people use LinkedIn to recruit and market business positions and opportunities in a cost effective way.
Foursquare is a location-based website accessed mostly via mobile devices. It allows users with GPS-enabled mobile devices (smartphones, iPads) to "check-in" at venues using a mobile website or by selecting from a list of venues that the application locates nearby. The more often you check into a venue the more points or “badges” you receive the more likely you are to gain some kind of incentive. Whoever checks in the most becomes the “mayor” and is congratulated via Foursquare broadcast. Often times Foursquare is integrated with Facebook. Once you check in it is posted to Facebook and let’s everyone know exactly where you are, creating a sense of popularity.
Let me clue you in on a way to save a lot of time. There are applications out there that will update all Social Media outlets at one time. For example, Hoot Suite. Hoot Suite is a social media communications dashboard, publishing to websites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Foursquare, MySpace, and WordPress at one time. It is available as a web based and mobile application. Go download it!